Sunday 19 October 2014

Urban Decay Vice 3 Palette; review & swatches

Urban Decay is without a doubt my favourite brand for eyeshadow palettes. I'm not shy to colour, and I love a good creamy, pigmented eyeshadow. I already own the previous Vice palettes - I like the first more than the second - and the third is actually even more beautiful.


The packaging is very cool and eye-catching, though slightly odd as it doesn't quite match the others that say "UD" on the front. The palette comes in a nice little pouch that can definitely be used as a makeup bag, or just something to store the palette in, as I can imagine it could end up quite scratched, like the shiny gold YSL packaging tends to.

The palette doesn't have the funky button to open it like the previous, but it still opens nicely with a magnetic closure and a mirror that stands up - perfect for travelling!


The first thing that stood out to me is that the shades actually seem to be in columns of colours that might work well together, and the palette contains more neutrals than most UD palettes. I think having more neutrals is great, as it means that I can just use this palette, without needing to grab for blending or highlighting shades elsewhere.

Swatched in columns, left to right.
Truth, Undone, Downfall, DTF, Dragon, Freeze, Heroine, Brokedown, Vanity, Lucky, Reign, Bobby Dazzle
Alien, Alchemy, Bondage, Sonic, Last Sin, Angel, Defy, Revolver

As you can see in the swatches, the overall quality is great, as you would expect from UD shadows. I'm glad that there aren't any super chunky, shimmery shades in this, as they tend to leave a lot of fallout. A few of the shades are slightly powdery (mainly the lighter neutrals) but they're still very pigmented, kind of like Lorac Pro eyeshadows. Some of the particularly impressive shades are Dragon, Freeze, Lucky, Reign, and Sonic.

I can honestly say that this has become my current favourite palette, I can't stop using it, and I still haven't used every shade on my eyes, as there are just so many options! I would recommend this to anyone, as there are a great selection of warm, cool, natural and bright shades.

In the UK, I believe the palette will be released on Urban Decay on October 27th, and in stores that stock Urban Decay on November 1st.
Get it while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment